Currently working on High Availability/Continuously Availability solutions for mission critical business applications deployed on SAP (UK) HANA Platform including scale-up and scale-out deployment configurations for multi-Terabyte memory systems. Also experienced in deployment, management and configuration of private clouds using commercial (Citrix/VMWare) and open-source tools (OpenStack, OpenNebula, Eucalyptus) on clusters, and provisioning the services to end users/projects while working as Research Fellow at CERN (European Organisation for Particle Physics, Switzerland). Doctoral research work focused on development of optimization techniques and algorithms for virtual machine deployment in grid/cloud computing.
Research Interests: High Availability and Fault Tolerance, SAP HANA, Cloud, Grid and Cluster Computing, High Performance Computing, Green and GP-GPU Computing, Simulation and Modeling, Scheduling and Optimization, Machine Learning Algorithms, Software Design and Distributed Architectures.
- Programming Languages: Java, Python, C/C++, PHP, Bash, SQL
- High Availability: Remus HA with Xen, Palladio Component Modelling, Linux-HA Clustering, Stratus FTServers
- Database Sysems Benchmarking: Performance and load simulations of OLAP/OLTP workloads with TPC-C/TPC-H
- Cloud Technologies: Eucalyptus, OpenStack, OpenNebula, VMware vCenter, Citrix Lab Manager
- Virtualization Technologies: Xen, VMWare vSphere ESXi, Citrix Server, Microsoft Hyper-V
- Good knowledge and experiences in OOA and OOD
- Familiar with REST, multi-threaded programming, high-concurrency environment, design patterns
- Operating Systems: Linux (Redhat, Ubuntu), Microsoft Windows (Server 2003/2008, XP, 7), OS X
- Development Environments: Visual Studio 2008, Eclipse, NetBeans, VI, Emacs
- Database Technologies: Oracle, MySQL, NoSQL MangoDB
- Configuration Management: CFEngine, Microsoft System Center
- Distributed Synchronization: Puppet
- Package Management: Redhat Package Management, Microsoft System Installer (InstallShield)
- Network Protocols and Industrial Control Buses: TCP/IP, VME/Camac/GPIB Bus
- Security: Static and Dynamic Source Code Analysis, Network Robustness and Intrusion Detection
Working as a specialist systems engineer working on “High” and “Continuous” Availability deployment approaches for mission critical SAP HANA Platform and related landscape applications.. This research project focuses on:
Also worked on Hadoop based systems using Apache UIMA with Natural Language Processing (NLP) algorithms for text analysis to extract meaningful information from large amount of unstructured text data on HANA Platform.
Senior research fellow for investigating and deploying Siemens software development environment on cloud platforms, and executing security evaluations and improvements in network based data acquisition systems. Responsibilities included:
Working on optimization of the job throughput for CERN’s grid workloads using virtualization technology, and integrating it into production applications for on-demand virtual machine deployment. It involved scheduling algorithms using signal processing and statistical techniques.
Lead developer for the software to manage USB based front-end electronics hardware used by a high energy physics experiment. Responsibilities included:
Software developer to migrate software for single board VME based embedded systems and developing J2EE applications to streamline operations within the team. Responsibilities included:
Khalid O., Anthony R. Petridis M., “Performance Evaluation of Statistical Techniques for Adaptive Scheduling in Autonomic Systems”, Emerging Trends and Applications in Information Communication Technologies
Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS) Volume 281, 2012, pp 228-239, Springer, (2012)
Khalid O., Sheikh A., Copy B., “Optimizing Infrastructure for Software Testing and Deployment in Self-contained Environments Using Virtualization”, 13th International Conference on Accelerator and Large Experimental Physics Control Systems, Grenoble, France. (2011)
Khalid O., Maljevic I., Anthony R., Petridis M., “Deadline aware virtual machine scheduler for scientific grids and cloud computing”, IEEE International Conference of Advance Information Networking and Applications, Perth, Australia. (2010)
Khalid O., Maljevic I., Anthony R., Petridis M., “Dynamic scheduling of virtual machines running HPC workloads in scientific grids”, IEEE International Conference of New Technologies, Mobility and Security, Cairo, Egypt. (2009)
Khalid O., Anthony R., Nilsson P., Keahey K., “Enabling and Optimizing Pilot Jobs using Xen Virtual Machines for HPC Grid Applications”, IEEE International Workshop on Virtualization Technologies and Distributed Computing (VTDC), Barcelona, Spain. (2009)
Khalid O., Keahey K., Nilsson P., Schulz M., “Executing Atlas Jobs in Virtual Machines ”, International Conference of Computing and High Energy Physics, Budapesht, Hungary. (2009)
Khalid O., Nilsson P., Schulz M., Keahey K., “Enabling Virtual PanDA Pilot for ATLAS Workloads”, International Conference on Enabling Grids for E-Science, Istanbul, Turkey. (2008)